The Arts are an integral part of life at Saint James School (SJS). We offer many classes and extra curricular Fine Arts activities. All SJS students are involved in the Fine Arts. Each Upper School (9th through 12th grade) student is required to fulfill an annual Fine Arts Requirement.
1) Enroll in and pass an academic course offered by the Fine Arts Department, or
2) Act in (or serve in the technical crew of) a school play, or
3) Sing in the Chapel Choir, or
4) Study a musical instrument and perform in the Winter and Spring school recitals, or
5) Study a musical instrument outside the school with the department’s permission and play in 2 recitals, or
6) Serve as senior editor of the yearbook, supporting editor, or regular writer, or
7) Perform in an off-campus production, dramatic or musical, or
8) Attend no fewer than ten artistic events sponsored by the School or approved by the Fine Arts Department.
Students must complete this requirement by Spring Reading Day.
Students may earn and apply up to Five Arts requirements from the summer to the forthcoming year. School Theatre trips = 1 per event.
Fine Arts requirements are noted on the official transcript.
The Fine Arts Department is an expert faculty of working artists, who present a diverse program of study with a full range of studio and academic resources; who will provide the highest level of education in music, and offer rich performance activities. Faculty will contribute excellence in teaching while creatively blending the traditional with the technical. The Arts are an integral part of life at Saint James School. We believe that music studies build confidence, self-esteem, and improves concentration.
The Fine Arts Department of Saint James School is comprised of music, art, dance, and theatre. The arts at Saint James School are a vigorous department at the heart of a thriving school.
'The Arts For All' is a fundamental principle of the Fine Art Department's work. Participation in instrumental and choral ensembles, daily chapel, the Mummers' Society, Studio Art, Art Club, Yearbook, Music Theory, Private Instruction, Advanced Musical Instruction, Octet +1, Dance, and Stage Crew inspires loyalty, confidence and an appreciation of quality. The arts faculty is an experienced and dedicated team that shares their enthusiasm, passion, and expertise with students.