The heavy fire of muskets and artillery continued loudly and steadily for the first half of the day. Dr. Kerfoot and Dr. Falk set out that afternoon with supplies for the wounded. Soldiers and the surgeons were grateful for the supply of fresh bread and rolls. With the battle lines in sight, Kerfoot and Dr. Falk moved closer. They could hear the Union troops cheering and the whistling of artillery as they crossed a field to witness the Battle of Antietam only three-quarters of a mile before them.
The aftermath of the battle was great. Kerfoot noted that most of the Union men were able to be buried while Confederate men were left behind on the field in a hasty retreat.
Kerfoot and his wife finally departed for safety reasons. However, Dr. Falk remained on campus. Without guards, the School's springhouse, potato fields, and other buildings were ransacked by the starving troops. The Bai Yuka spring became a "wash-house and bath-place" for men who had gone weeks without fresh water.
The School was to re-open for its twenty-first session on September 24, 1862. However, the opening of the school would wait until November 12th with an enrollment of 24 boys. The College would run peacefully and smoothly until the Battle of Gettysburg.